The Stokely Stories: Happy New Years Resolution        
 
           
         
     
     
       
     
     
       

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Years Resolution

So, I know that I am WAY overdue in a blog posting... I need to do quite a few Mirthdays for our sweet Colton, update on our big boy Parker, life, moving, job, pictures, Holidays etc etc but most of you can assume that we are all alive and well! :) I promise to get to at least a few pictures soon.. but here I go on "Happy New Years Resolution" -

As I quickly read through my morning devotional, after sending my dear husband off to work at 6:00 this morning, I became aware of why so many of us are continually making "Resolutions" at the start of the new year that quickly lose importance and take a back seat to the busy lives we are living and the excuses we make. It was too great not to share :)

Colossions 3:1-5 tells us to set our minds and hearts on things above. Put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature - idols.

Idolatry is trying to get my needs met outside the will of God.

Wow. That is a big revelation!

Meeting our needs outside the will of God.... Do I know what that looks like?

For me a lot of times it looks like seeking approval from my husband instead of the Lord, if Chad is happy with the job I'm doing as a mother, friend, wife, I think I'm doing a great job! But my focus is not to meet the standards of my husbands approval - but to the ways that the Father has outlined for me.

For some it is finding a way to handle emotional needs - using food in place of God to handle the good, the bad, the difficult, celebrating... instead of turning to the Lord in these times we turn to the comfort of food.

Others might be physical - giving in to a bad habit, too much TV, impure lifestyles... all of it an idol that is trying to meet our needs in a way other than God's will for our lives.

Day 3 of the new year and Chad and I have set so many goals for our family:
1. A new and improved family budget
2. Healthy eating
3. More physical activity
4. Family devotionals

All of it full of great intentions! All of them areas that God has called us to work on.
But I know that without seeking the Lord's help we will have an epic fail and feel disappointed! So my challenge for everyone setting their new years resolution is that you set them with Christ in mind! Set a resolution to eat healthy and surrender to the Lord for strength instead of your own - pray for guidance and motivation. Pray that you let go of the idol of food in your life and fill your self with the rich, filling words of the Lord!

Find the idols in your life and replace them with the One who can last longer than any "Resolution". Seek Christ this new year (instead of idols and false promises) and be blessed!

Psalm 27:8 "My heart says of you: 'Seek His face!' Your face Lord, I will seek!"

No comments:

Post a Comment